Army Challenge Cup Final

Warminster based 1 Yorks have won the 117th playing of the Army Challenge Cup final. They defeated Bramcote-based 30 Signal Regt in the final held at the Aldershot Military Stadium.

Ninety-one major unit Army teams had started off on the road to Aldershot back in September.

1 Yorks did it the hard way, having to come back from 1-2 down at half-time. Within a minute of the second half though, they were level, courtesy of an individual LCpl Andy Kirby strike.

Roared on by a loud and raucous travelling support, they took the game to 30 Sig Regt and both teams served up a full-bloodied, pulsating end-to-end and action packed display of football.

There were chances for both sides; however, deep into added on time the breakthrough came when LCpl Luke McClaren fired home from the edge of the box.

That prompted joyous scenes amongst their travelling support, as 1 Yorks saw the game out to run out 3-2 winners.

1Yorks were presented the cup by the Army Sergeant Major WO1 Glen Haughton.

After the presentation the winning goalscorer LCpl Luke McClaren said; “It was unbelievable getting the goal. Even better was getting the win as it was redemption for the loss we had last year.”

Maj Billy Thomson, Army FA Secretary, afterwards stated: “This is a great football occasion for the soldiers’ game. Both teams were making a second appearance in the final, having each been runners-up in the previous two seasons. There will be a new name on the cup now.”

1 Yorks will now get the opportunity to represent the Army against the winners of the Army Reserve Cup, 154 (Scottish) Regiment RLC in the Army FA Super Cup Final which will be played at the Military Stadium Aldershot on Sunday, October 8.

The Army Challenge Cup was first contested in 1888; the inaugural winners were the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, who defeated the South Staffordshire Regiment two-nil in the final.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *