Tigers charge to victory

Last week 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment (1 PWRR) defeated 35 Engineer Regiment (35 Engr Regt) in the final of the British Army Germany Rugby 7s to lift the Cox Cup.

The tournament saw the return of rugby following a lull in fixtures this year because of operational and training commitments for many of the units.

However, the nine men’s teams who entered were determined to make up for lost time with performances that were brimming with talent, power and aggression.

“Tournaments like these are an ideal opportunity to raise the profile of rugby in Germany and get people playing again,” said organiser Capt Shaun Reeve adding: “So to see over 100 players turning up today is fantastic. The standard of play has been really high – big hits and given the conditions some great handling.”

With the pool games complete it was the turn of 1 Armoured Medical Regiment (1 Armd Med Regt) and Paderborn Rugby ladies teams to take the field.

With Army and Combined Services players in their side it was no surprise that 1 Armd Med Regt emerged victorious over the Paderborn team winning 15-5 in a match that included some excellently executed tries.

Next up was the plate final, contested between 2 Field Company REME and 26th Regiment Royal Artillery (26 Regt RA), which after a tight start 26 Regt RA eventually won 21-5, scoring several breakaway tries in the process.

The main final promised to be a classic game between the two best teams in the competition and they certainly did not disappoint the watching spectators, with both teams completely committed to winning, as demonstrated by some of the crunching tackles.

With the game ebbing back and forth late in the first half 35 Engr Regt thought they had scored a try on the counter attack when they broke through the 1 PWRR defensive line until a fantastic late tackle from one of the Tigers brought the attack to a halt.

The second half was also a close tactical affair with the players continuously looking to exploit the extra space on the pitch but neither team able to cross the try line until 1 PWRR managed to do so shortly before the final whistle.

Resulting in a final score of 19 to 5 to the Tigers.

The final was a fantastic spectacle and a fitting way to end a long hard day of rugby.

Looking forward Shaun remarked: “Today has shown that there is still an appetite to play rugby which is promising for the future.

“We have seen some great talent today, some we knew about others we didn’t, and I am hoping this tournament has enthused people for next season.”

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *